The first round of the Inter Totally Cup, our quest to find the most knowledgable of our regular podcast guests, is complete. There have been some of you out there who reckon they could do better, so here’s the time to prove it.
Here are all the questions we have asked so far – 160 of them – for you to puzzle over. And when you’re really ready, you can have a look at the answers…then subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss the next round…
Specialist subject: Barcelona 2008/09
1) Which player did Barcelona sign from Arsenal in the summer of 2008?
2) Three members of the squad had also won the Premier League before this season: name two of them (or all three if you want to show off).
3) Barca lost the first league game of that season to a team that would eventually be relegated: which team?
4) Name three of the four goalscorers in Barca’s 6-2 hammering of Real Madrid in the Bernabeu (or all four if you want to show off).
5) Who played in central defence alongside Gerard Pique in the Champions League final?
1) Who have been runners-up the most times in World Cups?
2) Who is currently on a longer run of consecutive league titles: Bayern or Juventus?
3) Who were the first team not called Real Madrid to win the European Cup?
4) Who are the current champions of Russia?
5) Which team sold Gianluigi Lentini to Milan in 1992, for a then world record fee of £13million?
Specialist subject: Premier League Golden Boot
1) Which player has shared the Premier League Golden Boot twice but never won it on his own?
2) Who is the only Golden Boot winner to score his goals for two different clubs in the same season?
3) Who was the last player to win the Golden Boot in the same season as winning the Premier League?
4) Four players have won the Premier League Golden Boot and the European Golden Shoe in the same season: name three of them (or all four if you want to show off).
5) Who is the only player to win the Premier League Golden Boot and also be top-scorer at a major international tournament in the same year?
1) Who finished bottom in the inaugural Premier League season?
2) Who has been runner-up most frequently in the Champions League/European Cup?
3) Who are the current champions of Belgium?
4) Three men have won the World Cup as both a player and a head coach: name two of them.
5) What do these players have in common: Luis Suarez (the Spanish one), Diego Maradona, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one), Luis Figo and Neymar?
Listen to how they did…
1) Why would Wily Boly’s goal in the 1-1 draw against Manchester City not have counted in the 2019/20 season?
2) Who scored a 93rd minute winner in the 4-3 victory over Leicester in January?
3) Seven Portuguese players made Premier League starts for Wolves this season: name five of them, or all seven if you want to show off.
4) One player made a league appearance in both the 2018/19 season in the Premier League, and the 2013/14 season when Wolves were promoted from League One: which player?
5) Wolves were denied a place in the FA Cup final after Troy Deeney scored a 94th minute penalty in the semi at Wembley: who fouled Deeney to concede that penalty?
1) Three teams have played in just one Premier League season: name two of them.
2) What do Nottingham Forest and Porto have in common, in reference to the Champions League/European Cup?
3) Who has the most clean sheets in Premier League history?
4) Three players have been sent off for England at World Cups: name two of them.
5) Who said the following, about Sven Goran Eriksson: “We needed Churchill, but we got Iain Duncan Smith”?
1) Which club is missing from this list of Celtic’s opponents en route to winning the European Cup? FC Zurich, _______, FK Vojvodina, Dukla Prague, Inter
2) Who did Celtic beat in the Scottish Cup final?
3) Who scored 35 goals in all competitions, despite not playing a game after Boxing Day?
4) Celtic’s players were famously all born within ten miles of Celtic Park, but which player was the only one who played that season and appeared for a national team other than Scotland?
5) At which stadium did Celtic get the point that confirmed them as league champions?
1) By which unusual method was the 1968 European Championships semi-final between Italy and Russia decided?
2) How many points did Derby get in their historically bad 2007/08 season?
3) Who won the 1999 PFA Player of the Year award Manchester United’s treble-winning players having split the vote?
4) Which two players jointly hold the record for most goals scored for the Scottish national team?
5) Who said the following: “When the Italians tell me it’s pasta, I still check under the sauce to make sure.”
Listen to how they did…
1) What did Jose Mourinho do on the touchline during a game against Sampdoria to help earn himself a three-game touchline ban?
2) Which team is missing from this list of teams Inter faced in the knockout rounds of the Champions League: Chelsea, ____, Barcelona, Bayern.
3) Which player did Inter loan to Manchester City in the January transfer window?
4) What did Massimo Moratti have in common with Michael van Praag, chairman of Ajax in the 1990s, after this season?
5) Who was the only Italian to appear in the Champions League final for Inter?
1) Who has made the most Premier League appearances, with 653?
2) Who is currently the most expensive defender in the world?
3) What do the following teams have in common: Reims, Valencia and Atletico Madrid?
4) Who were the last team to win the European Championships on home soil?
5) Who is the next team in this sequence: Sevilla, Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and…?
Wales at Euro 2016
1) Which player is missing from this list of Welsh goalscorers at Euro 2016 (not including own-goals): Bale, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Vokes, Williams
2) What did Chris Coleman say seconds before Chris Gunter crossed the ball for Sam Vokes to score against Belgium?
3) Name the director who made the film ‘Don’t Take Me Home’ about Wales at the tournament.
4) What was unusual about Hal Robson-Kanu’s status when he scored THAT goal against Belgium?
5) Aaron Ramsey was suspended from the semi-final against Portugal – which other player also missed that game because he was banned?
1) Alan Shearer has scored the most Premier League goals overall, but who has scored the most Premier League goals for a single club?
2) Who are the current champions of Portugal?
3) Real Madrid broke the world transfer record five times between 2000-2013: who’s missing from this list of the five players they signed: Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, _____, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale.
4) Estadio Centenario in Montevideo, Stadio Nazionale in Rome, Wembley in London, Olympiastadion in Munich, Estadio Monumental in Buenos Aires, Stade de France in Paris: what do these World Cup final venues have in common?
5) Three teams have won the European Cup/Champions League three times in a row (or more): name those teams.
Listen to how they did…
Bayern Munich, 2012/13
1) Who were the only team to beat Bayern in the Bundesliga in this season?
2) Bayern set the record for the most points gained in a Bundesliga season: whose record did they break?
3) Which team is missing from this list of sides Bayern faced in the Champions League? Barcelona, Dortmund, Juventus, Arsenal, Valencia, BATE Borisov
4) Eight members of the Bayern starting XI from the Champions League final have also played in a World Cup final: name the three that haven’t.
5) Why did Dante and Luiz Gustavo miss the DFB-Pokal final?
1) From which team did Juventus buy Roberto Baggio to break the world transfer record in 1990?
2) What is the next name in this sequence: Davor Suker, Ronaldo, Miroslav Klose, Thomas Muller and…?
3) Which country has had more Champions League/European Cup winners: England or Italy?
4) Alfredo di Stefano played for three different countries: which three?
5) Who are the bottom three in the Premier League as it stands?
Football club nicknames
1) Which current English club, other than Manchester United, go by the nickname ‘The Red Devils’?
2) Which team are the Shrimps, and who are the Shrimpers?
3) Why are Sheffield Wednesday known as the Owls?
4) What were Sunderland known as before their official nickname became ‘the Black Cats’ in 1997?
5) Which Premier League club used to go by ‘The Glaziers’?
1) Neymar and Kylian Mbappe are currently the two most expensive players in football history: who is the third?
2) Which player is missing from this list of English goalscorers at the 2018 World Cup: Harry Kane, John Stones, Jesse Lingard, Harry Maguire and Kieran Trippier?
3) Complete this sequence: Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Liverpool…
4) Which Spanish team, other than Barcelona, did Johan Cruyff play for?
5) Who is top scorer in the Premier League as it stands?
Listen to how they did…
Brazil at the 2002 World Cup
1) Which Brazil player was ruled out of the 2002 World Cup after injuring himself while playing in goal during training before the tournament?
2) Why was Turkey’s Hakan Unsal sent off during their game against Brazil in the group stages?
3) Three players in Brazil’s starting XI for the final played in the Premier League at some point in their careers: name those players.
4) Only two players were in the Brazil squads at both the 1994 and 2002 World Cups: which two players?
5) Which team is missing from this list of countries Brazil faced at the 2002 World Cup? Germany, England, Turkey, China, Belgium and…
1) Who holds the record for most England caps for an outfield player?
2) Complete the following sequence: Croatia, Turkey, Germany, Germany, Netherlands…
3) Who said the following: ”You bought a Ferrari, but you drive it like a Fiat.”
4) At which club did Michael Owen finish his career?
5) Whose is this career path: Real Madrid, Juventus, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid
France at the 1998 World Cup
1) What was notable about Laurent Blanc’s goal against Paraguay in the round of 16?
2) Which French player missed in the shoot-out as they beat Italy on penalties in the quarter-finals?
3) Which team is missing from this list of countries that France faced at the 1998 World Cup? Brazil, Denmark, Paraguay, Italy, Croatia, Saudi Arabia and…?
4) Only three of France’s starting XI from the final never played in England: which three players?
5) Which Milan player was one of the six Aime Jacquet trimmed from his initial 28-man squad when picking his final 22?
1) What do the following clubs have in common, in relation to the Champions League/European Cup; Feyenoord, Aston Villa, PSV and Red Star Belgrade
2) Complete the following sequence: Arsenal, Arsenal, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea…
3) Which Spanish club take their nickname from a Beatles song?
4) Which European team plays at Vodafone Park?
5) What do these players have in common: Bernd Schuster, Albert Celades, Luis Enrique, Samuel Eto’o, Ronaldo, Javier Saviola
Brazil at the 2014 World Cup
1) Which team is missing from this list of opponents for Brazil at the tournament: Germany, Croatia, Netherlands, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia?
2) Which Colombia defender kneed Neymar in the back, fracturing a vertebra and putting him out of the semi-final?
3) Who scored Brazil’s first goal of the tournament, and who scored their last?
4) Neymar and Thiago Silva were absent from the semi-final against Germany: which two players replaced them?
5) Four of the starting XI from the 7-1 defeat against Germany never played for Brazil again after this World Cup: which four?
1) Bayern Munich play in the Allianz, Germany, but who plays in the Allianz, France?
2) What have these players got in common: Andrea Pirlo, Ronaldo, Hernan Crespo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Roberto Baggio and Mario Balotelli?
3) Who is currently the youngest ever player to make a Premier League appearance?
4) What is the next team in this sequence: Swansea, Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Manchester City, Manchester City and…
5) Which three players were joint Premier League top-scorers in 2018/19?
Watford in the 2014/15 season
1) Watford famously had four managers in that season: cane you name them in chronological order?
2) Which of those four managed the fewest games?
3) Watford beat two teams 5-0 and 7-2 in consecutive weeks at Vicarage Road that season: which two teams?
4) Where were the Watford players when they discovered they had won promotion, after Middlesbrough were beaten 4-3 by Fulham?
5) Which three players who made league appearance for Watford that season are still at the club?
1) By how many points are Liverpool currently leading the Premier League?
2) Who is the next team in this sequence: QPR, Norwich, Hull, Huddersfield, Fulham and…
3) What have these players got in common: Emmanuel Adebayor, Sol Campbell, William Gallas, David Bentley and Pat Jennings
4) Four stadia in Britain have hosted the Champions League/European Cup final: which four?
5) The 2026 World Cup is scheduled to be hosted across three countries: which three countries?
Listen to how they did…
1) Danny Ings has 15 Premier League goals, but who is Southampton’s next highest league goalscorer?
2) Southampton were knocked out of the Carabao Cup by Manchester City and the FA Cup by Tottenham, but which three teams did they beat in those competitions?
3) Who did Jose Mourinho call “an idiot” after Southampton beat Tottenham 1-0 on New Year’s Day?
4) Who was the first team Southampton beat after the 9-0 defeat to Leicester?
5) Two of Southampton’s squad this season have Champions League winners’ medals: which two?
1) How many consecutive league titles have Celtic won in this current run?
2) What do these teams have in common: Borussia Monchengladbach, Club Brugge, Real Madrid, Roma, Milan and Tottenham?
3) Megan Rapinoe was first and Alex Morgan was third, but who was second in last year’s Women’s Ballon d’Or?
4) Before Harry Kane, who was the last Englishman to finish top scorer of the Premier League?
5) Which of Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s nine clubs has be made the most appearances for?
USSR at Euro 88
1) Which former winners of the European Championships did the USSR knock out in qualifying?
2) Which player in the USSR’s squad was nicknamed ‘The Iron Curtain’?
3) Who was the only player to score more than one goal at the tournament for the USSR?
4) Two of the USSR squad played in England at some point in their career: which two?
5) Which name is missing from the list of scorers for the USSR at the competition: Rats, Protasov, Aleinikov, Pasulko, Lytovchenko?
1) Who contested the first Champions League/European Cup final between two teams from the same country?
2) What is the next stadium in this sequence: Wembley in London, De Kuip in Rotterdam, Estadio da Luz in Portugal, Ernst-Happel-Stadion in Vienna, the Olympic Stadium in Kiev and…
3) Megan Rapinoe, Alex Morgan and which other player finished joint top-scorers at the Women’s World Cup last year?
4) Alan Shearer finished Premier League top scorer in 1996 and 1997, and Robin van Persie was top-scorer in 2012 and 2013: what do they have in common?
5) Who are the current holders of the Copa Libertadores?
Listen to see how they did…
2010 World Cup
1) Which team beat Italy in the group stage to send the holders out?
2) What unusual reason did Diego Maradona give for selecting defender Ariel Garcé in the Argentina squad?
3) Whose effort on goal did Luis Suarez punch off the line in the Uruguay v Ghana quarter-final?
4) Which three players appeared in both the Champions League final and the World Cup final in 2010?
5) Four players were joint top-scorers in the competition: which four?
1) What do the following teams have in common: Benfica, Ajax, Steaua Bucharest, Benfica again, Barcelona, Juventus and Liverpool?
2) Who scored the Czech Republic’s goal in the 1996 European Championship final?
3) PSG have won seven of the last eight Ligue 1 titles: who was the manager in the season when they didn’t win it?
4) What do the following players have in common: Peter Beardsley, Andrei Kanchelskis, Andy Cole, Owen Hargreaves
5) What is the next club in this sequence: Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United and…
Premier League squad numbers
1) David Beckham had four Premier League squad numbers for Manchester United: which four?
2) From Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ squad numbers, if you add Robert Pires to Lauren, then minus Martin Keown, who do you get?
3) Who was Liverpool’s No.8 before Steven Gerrard?
4) Who is the next player in this sequence: Gianluca Vialli, Chris Sutton, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Mateja Kezman and…
5) To which Premier League great does this sequence of squad numbers belong: 24, 22, 18, 22?
1) Name the only player to score an own-goal a World Cup final.
2) At which club was Jose Mourinho’s first managerial job?
3) English teams won the European Cup in seven out of eight years between 1977 and 1984: which team won the other one?
4) Which of the following venues DID NOT host a game at Euro 96: Hillsborough, Goodison Park, St James’s Park, Villa Park, Elland Road.
5) Who was Milan manager the last time they won Serie A?
Listen to see how they did…