We’re reaching the business end of the Inter Totally Cup now – the quarter-finals are complete, the semi-finals await, but could you do better than our contestants? Time to prove it: here are the 80 questions we asked in the quarters – both our pundits’ specialist subjects and the general knowledge rounds – and when you’ve had a go at them you can check how you did with the answers. And of course subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss the semis and the final.
The 160 questions from the first round, if your insatiable appetite for trivia hasn’t been…erm…sated, are here.
Spain in international tournaments, 2008-12
1) Which two teams did Spain beat on penalties during these three tournaments?
2) Four players started all three finals Spain appeared in: which four?
3) Atletico Madrid only provided one player in all three tournaments: which player?
4) Two players won the Champions League with their club and an international tournament with Spain in the same year: which two players?
5) Vicente del Bosque is one of two people to win the Champions League/European Cup and the World Cup as a manager: who is the other?
1) What was notable about Mario Balotelli’s only Premier League assist for Manchester City?
2) Which club plays at the Parken Arena?
3) Who were the last team to win the European Cup Winners’ Cup?
4) What do the following players have in common: Mats Hummels, Robert Lewandowski, Mario Goetze, Stefan Reuter and Thomas Helmer
5) Whose is this career path: Ajax, Real Madrid, Inter, Galatasaray, Nice, Al-Gharafa?
1) In which stadium did Ajax win their third European Cup?
2) Only two non-Dutch players appeared in Ajax’s three European Cup finals: who were they?
3) Name the three teams Ajax beat in the semi-finals during this run.
4) Ajax beat Celtic on the way to winning in 1971: who scored Celtic’s only goal in that tie?
5) Who was the only English team Ajax played in these three seasons?
1) How many European trophies (not including the Super Cup) did Alex Ferguson win?
2) Who was the last club that Ron Atkinson managed?
3) Which club plays at the Jose Alvalade Stadium?
4) What was the name of the Japanese club Gary Lineker played for at the end of his career?
5) Leo Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo shared the Ballon d’Or for ten straight years between 2008-2017: who won it the year before that run?
Listen to how they did…
France at Euro 2000
1) Who was the most capped player in the France squad at the start of the tournament?
2) Immediately after the tournament several players in the France squad moved clubs, but who was the only one to move back to a French club from abroad?
3) Who was sent off for Portugal against France in their semi-final?
4) After winning the tournament, what did Roger Lemerre have in common with Michel Hidalgo, France’s winning coach in 1980?
5) Which French player was Fabio Cannavaro talking about when he said the following, after being elbowed by him in the final: “I thought he had become a man, but he’s remained a horse.”
1) With which club did Johan Cruyff win his final league title as a player?
2) Which club plays at the Veltins Arena?
3) Which Ballon d’Or winner does this career path belong to: Borussia Monchengladbach, Bayern Munich, Inter, Bayern Munich, New York Metrostars
4) Two stadiums have hosted the final match of the World Cup twice: which two?
5) Celtic in 1967, Steaua Bucharest in 1986, Red Star Belgrade in 1991, Marseille in 1993: specifically, what do they have in common?
Current Premier League grounds
1) Which current Premier League ground hosted a Test cricket match?
2) If you were getting off the train at Falmer station, which Premier League ground would you be heading to?
3) Which current Premier League ground features stands called the Barclay Stand, the Jarrold Stand and the Geoffrey Watling Stand?
4) Seven current Premier League teams now play in grounds built since the start of the Premier League in 1992, but which has been playing in these ‘new’ grounds for the longest?
5) Anfield is one of a number of grounds with a ‘Kop’ stand, named after the ‘Spion Kop’, a hill that was the scene of a battle involving the British army – in which country was that hill?
1) What are Alf Common, David Jack, Diego Maradona and Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) the only players to have done in football history?
2) Michael Robinson sadly passed away this week – he was best known as a broadcaster in Spain, but which was the Spanish club he played for?
3) Which Ballon d’Or winner does this career path belong to: Valenciennes, Club Brugge, Marseille, Milan, Bayern Munich, Bordeaux, Guingamp, Saint-Pierroise.
4) What do the following have in common: Laurent Blanc in 1998, Henri Camara in 2002, Ahn Jung-hwan in 2002 and Ilhan Mansiz also in 2002?
5) Nine men have won the English top flight as both a player and a manager: which of them won the league most recently?
Listen to how they did…
World Cup 2002
1) After Ahn Jung-hwan scored the goal that knocked Italy out, the president of the club he had been playing for in Serie A announced his contract had been cancelled because he “ruined Italian football”. Which club was it?
2) Which incident, which dominated the news at the start of the tournament, was partly sparked by an unwatered training pitch?
3) By what scoreline did Germany beat Saudi Arabia in the group stages?
4) Who missed a penalty for Spain in the shoot-out against South Korea in the quarter-finals which saw them get knocked out?
5) Who was the only England player to be named in the team of the tournament?
1) Gheorghe Hagi played for two seasons in Italy, but for which club?
2) Which member of England’s 1990 World Cup squad’s career path is this? Aston Villa, Chelsea, Leeds, Torino, Derby, Stoke
3) Three players have played in the winning team in both the World Cup final and the Champions League final in the same year: who is the most recent to do so?
4) Who is the missing name in this sequence: Frank Rijkaard, Pep Guardiola, Tito Vilanova, _____, Luis Enrique
5) Who scored the winning goal when Wigan beat Manchester City in the 2013 FA Cup final?
Italy at the 2006 World Cup
1) Italy only conceded two goals in the whole tournament: one was Zidane’s penalty in the final, but who scored the other?
2) Ten different players scored for Italy at the World Cup: who were the only two to score more than once?
3) Which player in Italy’s winning World Cup 1982 squad was on Italy’s coaching staff in 2006?
4) Which slightly unlikely friend of Alessandro Del Piero did he celebrate in front of after his goal in the semi-final against Germany?
5) Only three Italian players started both the final in 2006, and their defeat to South Korea in 2002. Which three?
1) Who was the Nottingham Forest player that Paul Gascoigne tackled to injure his knee in the 1991 FA Cup final?
2) Which two English teams have won all three major European trophies – the European Cup/Champions League, UEFA Cup/Europa League and the Cup Winners’ Cup?
3) Which member of England’s 1990 World Cup squad’s career path is this? Ipswich, Rangers, Coventry, Sunderland, Clydebank
4) In November 1987, Mark Hughes played for Wales against Czechoslovakia and for Bayern Munich against Borussia Monchengladbach: what was unusual about those two appearances?
5) Who is the missing name in this sequence: Manuel Pellegrini, Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti, _____, Zinedine Zidane.
Listen to how they did…
World Cup 2018
1) Who scored the late winning goal for Belgium after they came back from 2-0 down against Japan in the round of 16?
2) Harry Kane won the Golden Boot, but who won the Silver Boot (for second top-scorer)?
3) Which player in England’s squad had just been relegated from the Premier League when he was picked?
4) Which team were knocked out at the last-16 stage for the seventh World Cup in a row?
5) What was unusual about the penalty that Antoine Griezmann scored in the final against Croatia?
1) At which club did Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) end his career?
2) Who said, when questioned about why he had taken a colleague’s meal during a pre-match meal: “When you’re the king, you can do what you want.”
3) Which manager’s first job was at Bournemouth, and his most recent at Middlesbrough?
4) Who were the first team to knock Real Madrid out of the European Cup?
5) Which Qatar-based team is Xavi currently the manager of?
1) Wayne Rooney became the youngest ever scorer in the European Championships when he found the net against Switzerland, but who broke that record four days later?
2) Who scored a later winner for Italy in the group stage, thinking he had put them through, only to discover Sweden and Denmark had drawn 2-2 – the scoreline that ensured both qualified?
3) Which two England players missed in the penalty shoot-out defeat to Portugal?
4) Which is the missing team from this list of Greece’s opponents in the tournament: Portugal (twice), France, Russia, Czech Republic and…
5) What was manager Otto Rehhagel the first to do when Greece won the tournament?
1) At which club did Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) start his career?
2) Which former Premier League manager said: “It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn’t happen again. If I could, I would have carried on playing.”
3) Which manager’s first club job was Blackburn, and his most recent Southampton?
4) Who was the last team to beat Real Madrid in a Champions League/European Cup final?
5) Which Japanese team is Andres Iniesta currently playing for?
Want some answers? We all do chief. Here they all are…
And subscribe to the Totally Football Show here…