We have very much reached the pointy end of the Inter Totally Cup, with the two trivia fiends who will contest the final now decided. How have you been doing if you’ve been playing along? It’s time to find out now, for here are the questions. Good luck…
Of course, you’ll want to subscribe to the podcast to see how the final goes…
And you’ll want to know THE ANSWERS too, we assume…
FIRST SEMI-FINAL: ALVARO ROMEO vs DANIEL STOREY
First leg specialist subject (chosen by Alvaro): Real Madrid’s Galacticos – 2003-2005
1) Jose Antonio Camacho lasted only six games as manager in 2004 – that was his second spell as Real coach, but what was unusual about his first spell?
2) Real loaned a couple of players out in 2003/04, one of which proved to be a mistake: why was that?
3) Real signed Jonathan Woodgate in the summer of 2004, but which other centre-back did they sign?
4) Which potential ‘galactico’ rejected a move to Real, years later giving Florentino Perez a signed shirt with “from the one man who turned you down” inscribed on it?
5) Which is the missing club in this sequence: Barcelona, Juventus, Inter, _____, Liverpool?
1) Which club links Leo Messi and Marcelo Bielsa?
2) Who currently holds the record for most Champions League appearances?
3) In relation to the Champions League/European Cup, specifically what have Zinedine Zidane, Carlo Ancelotti and Pep Guardiola done, that Jupp Heynckes, Alex Ferguson and Rafa Benitez haven’t?
4) Two players in England’s Euro 96 squad would go on to manage the senior England men’s team: which two?
5) Which club did Ronaldinho start his career at?
1) David Beckham became the third Englishman to play for Real when he signed for them in 2003: who were the first two?
2) Who reacted to Real signing David Beckham but selling Claude Makelele by saying: “Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?”
3) Which player went the other way when Real signed Michael Owen from Liverpool?
4) Which team did Real beat 7-2 early on in the 2003/04 season?
5) In 2004/5 Real had four players in their squad who had won the Ballon d’Or, and three who had finished second but never won it: can you name two of those three?
1) Who is the only goalkeeper to ever win the World Cup Golden Ball?
2) Three members of Spain’s 1994 World Cup squad went on to manage the senior Spain men’s team: which three?
3) In 1974, Gerd Muller became the only man in football history to do achieve which goalscoring feat?
4) Which club links Zinedine Zidane and Laurent Blanc?
5) Which club did Ronaldinho end his career at?
Listen to how they did…
Second leg specialist subject (chosen by Daniel): Post-war FA Cup finals
1) When was the last FA Cup final to go to a replay?
2) What are the only two grounds to host a post-war FA Cup final, apart from Wembley?
3) What do the 1973, 1976 and 1980 FA Cup finals have in common?
4) Which player holds the record for scoring in the most FA Cup finals?
5) Which player won the Champions League with Ajax, the UEFA Cup with Inter and the FA Cup three times with two different teams in the 2000s?
1) Who is the next player in this sequence: Eden Hazard, Riyad Mahrez, N’Golo Kante, Mohamed Salah and _____
2) Argentina won it in 1992, Denmark won it in 1995, Brazil won it in 1997 and Mexico won it in 1999: what did they win?
3) Fernando Torres scored that iconic goal in Chelsea’s win over Barcelona in the 2012 Champions League semi-final: but who scored the other goal for Chelsea in that game?
4) What event is next scheduled to take place in the Stadion Energa Gdansk?
5) At which club is Juan Sebastian Veron chairman?
1) Two current Premier League managers have captained the winning team in an FA Cup final: which two?
2) Apart from, obviously, winning the Cup, what did the losing finalists in 1957, 1977, 1985, 1988, 2007 and 2017 also fail to do?
3) Who is the missing name in this list of Chelsea managers who have won the FA Cup since the war: Dave Sexton, Ruud Gullit, Gianluca Vialli, Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto di Matteo and Antonio Conte
4) Which fanzine was named after an incident in the 1987 final?
5) Who were the teams that contested the first post-war final?
1) Who is the next player in this sequence: Cafu, Fabio Cannavaro, Iker Casillas, Phillip Lahm, _____
2) Manchester United won it in 1991, Chelsea won it in 1998 and Liverpool won it in 2001 and 2005: what did they win?
3) David Beckham scored that iconic goal for England against Greece in 2001: but who scored the other goal for England in that game?
4) What event is next scheduled to take place in the Lusail Iconic Stadium?
5) At which club did Sergio Aguero start his career?
Listen to how they did…
SECOND SEMI-FINAL: JACK LANG vs MICHAEL COX
First leg specialist subject (chosen by Jack): Brazil’s five World Cup wins
1) In only one of Brazil’s five World Cup winning campaigns did one of their players NOT also win the Golden Ball for player of the tournament: which one?
2) Which team is missing from this list of opponents Brazil have beaten in World Cup finals: Italy, Germany, Sweden, Italy again, and…
3) Only one player appeared in the final for Brazil in both 1994 and 2002: which player?
4) Two players have scored for Brazil in two different winning World Cup finals: Pele is one, who is the other?
5) For one of Brazil’s World Cup wins, their star player was sent off in the semi-final but was cleared by FIFA to play in the final: who was that player?
1) At which club did Pippo Inzaghi make his senior debut?
2) Who scored Aston Villa’s winner in the 1982 European Cup final?
3) Which German team are known as ‘Die Fohlen’ – the foals?
4) Which is the missing name from this sequence of permanent Tottenham managers in the 90s: Peter Shreeves, Ossie Ardiles, _____, Christian Gross, George Graham
5) What was the name of the Czech striker who scored five goals at the 1990 World Cup?
1) Which name is missing from this list of Brazil’s World Cup winning captains: Dunga, Hideraldo Bellini, Cafu, Carlos Alberto and…?
2) Name the three players to either win or share the Golden Boot for top scorer in years that Brazil won the World Cup.
3) Which player missed for Brazil in the 1994 World Cup final penalty shoot-out?
4) What is the name of the player who replaced Pele when he got injured in the 1962 World Cup?
5) Which team is missing from this list of games Brazil did not win (excluding penalties) in years they have lifted the World Cup: England in 1958, Sweden in 1994 and Italy in 1994?
1) At which club did Alessandro del Piero make his senior debut?
2) Who scored Nottingham Forest’s winner in the 1980 European Cup final?
3) Which German team are known as ‘Der Dino’ – the dinosaur?
4) Which is the missing name from this list of permanent Everton managers in the 90s: Howard Kendall, Mike Walker, ____, Howard Kendall, Walter Smith
5) Who scored the clinching penalty for Ireland as they beat Romania at the 1990 World Cup?
Listen to how they did…
Second leg specialist subject (chosen by Michael): Arsenal – the Arsene Wenger years
1) Who did Arsenal play – and beat – in Wenger’s first official match in charge?
2) How many games did Arsenal draw in the ‘Invincibles’ season?
3) Arsenal signed Emmanuel Petit and two other players from Monaco in 1997: can you name one of them?
4) Who played the most number of games under Wenger at Arsenal?
5) Three players won the PFA Player of the Year award under Wenger: which three?
1) George Best played for one current Premier League club, other than Manchester United: which club?
2) Two clubs have won the Champions League/European Cup in their home stadium: can you name one of them?
3) Which Premier League Golden Boot winner started his career at Den Bosch and ended it at Malaga?
4) What was the venue for Fulham’s Europa League final defeat to Atletico Madrid in 2010?
5) Which team has appeared in three Champions League finals but never won it?
1) Wenger’s Arsenal set the record for most consecutive unbeaten English league games between 2003-2004 – whose record did they break?
2) Who did Arsenal beat in the final to win Wenger’s first FA Cup?
3) Arsenal lost two European finals under Wenger: to which two teams?
4) Thierry Henry scored the most goals under Wenger at Arsenal, with 228, but who scored the second most?
5) Who did Arsenal play – and beat – in Wenger’s last match in charge of Arsenal?
1) Which club was Bobby Charlton manager of between 1973 and 1975?
2) Two clubs have lost the Champions League/European Cup final in their home stadium: Bayern were one in 2012, but who was the other?
3) Which Premier League Golden Boot winner made his first senior appearance at Cambridge and his last one at Norwich?
4) What was the venue for Liverpool’s UEFA Cup final win over Alaves in 2001?
5) Which team has appeared in three World Cup finals but never won it?
Listen to how they did…
And here they are again: the answers…
You can listen to the latest edition of the Totally Football Show here, and even better you can subscribe here. If you wish to reproduce any of the material in this article or from the podcast you are very welcome to, but please credit The Totally Football Show and include this link.