Here it is. The final. The big one. What it’s all been building up to. An occasion so colossal, they had to bring back the Premier League because they thought this was getting just too exciting. Daniel Storey and Michael Cox faced off in the showpiece occasion, and here are the questions they were asked.
So do you think you can do better? Here’s your chance…
Of course, you’ll want to subscribe to the podcast to see how the final goes…
And you’ll want to know THE ANSWERS too, we assume…
Round one: Champions League – 1992 to present
1) Two Premier League clubs have appeared in one, and one only Champions League season (not including the qualifiers): which ones?*
2) Who scored Marseille’s winner in the 1993 final against Milan?
3) Three teams have won the Champions League who never won the European Cup: name two of them.
4) Which player lost in the Champions League final and the European Championships final in 2016?
5) Three players have won the Champions League final with two different clubs in consecutive years: name two of them.
1) Two teams have won Champions League finals in their own countries: which two?
2) Who scored Ajax’s goal against Juventus in the 1996 final?
3) What have the following players all achieved in the Champions League: Andriy Shevchenko, Vladimir Jugovic, Didier Drogba, Cristiano Ronaldo?
4) Four managers have won the Champions League with two different clubs: who’s the only one to win it with two different clubs from the same country?
5) Who is the only team to win the Europa League/UEFA Cup and then the Champions League in consecutive years?
Round two: World Cup – 1998 to present
1) Specifically, what do the following venues have in common: Stade de France, Seoul World Cup Stadium, Allianz Arena, Soccer City, Arena de Sao Paulo and the Luzhniki Stadium.
2) Who won the Golden Glove award for best goalkeeper at the 2018 World Cup?
3) Who was the only English player to score in the penalty shoot-out against Portugal in 2006?
4) When Corentin Tolisso came off the bench in the 2018 final, which record – stretching back to 1982 – was continued?
5) Who was named in the Brazil starting XI for the 1998 final in place of Ronaldo, before the team sheet was changed?
1) Argentina were knocked out of the 2006 World Cup in the quarter-finals, but which Argentinean born player won the tournament?
2) Who scored Brazil’s goal in the 7-1 defeat to Germany in 2014?
3) What do Marcel Desailly, Zinedine Zidane and John Heitinga have in common?
4) Who missed for France in the penalty shoot-out for the 2006 World Cup final?
5) Who scored Senegal’s winner against France in the opening game of the 2002 World Cup?
Round three: General knowledge
1) Which two Premier League teams have been sponsored by Fly Emirates?
2) Who played for Lazio, Sampdoria and Bologna and was Capocannoniere three times in the 1990s?
3) Which club has won the most Women’s Super League titles?
4) From which club did Leeds sign Lucas Radebe?
5) Who scored the first hat-trick in Premier League history?
1) Which two Premier League teams did Sanderson sponsor in the 1990s?
2) Who is the only ever British player to be Serie A Capocannoniere?
3) Which club has won the most women’s Champions League titles?
4) From which club did Leeds sign Tony Yeboah?
5) Who has scored the most hat-tricks in Premier League history?
And here’s how Daniel and Michael got on…
*On the show this question said there were three teams who only played in one Champions League season, but it has been pointed out that technically Leeds played in the Champions League twice. Thankfully Daniel identified the answers that are actually right and the only damage is to the quizmaster’s pride.
You can listen to the latest edition of the Totally Football Show here, and even better you can subscribe here. If you wish to reproduce any of the material in this article or from the podcast you are very welcome to, but please credit The Totally Football Show and include this link.